Electronic document management systems have been around for a while, and most organizations are at least familiar with what they do – namely, serve as a centralized repository for filing, indexing, storing and retrieving digital content and documents. Although the technology behind document manager software and web-based systems has advanced significantly, it still can be difficult to convince people to invest in one.
If you’re a conscientious but frustrated office manager still surrounded by stacks and piles of paper – or responsible for tracking down electronic documents and records that exist somewhere on an employee’s computer – here are eight great ways a document management system can help you save money and improve productivity.
- Eliminate the need to leave your desk and dig through filing cabinets, hoping the document you need is stored correctly. With document management services, you can find a document with just a few clicks of a mouse, all in the comfort of your office.
- Get rid of the filing cabinets altogether and don’t buy anymore. Just think of what you could do with all that extra space!
- Do away with off-site storage and put some money back into your budget. Everything you used an off-site document storage company for can now be done faster, easier and more cost-efficiently with a document management system. Plus, hate that task of weeding out old documents? A management system can delete or move them to other folders automatically, based on date.
- Do away with the cost of pulling documents that are stored offsite. You would no longer have to pay a courier service to retrieve documents from your off-site storage location. And, as you know, those costs can really add up!
- Allow multiple employees to access the same document at the same time. A document management system functions much like a library, offering a secure check-out system so that only one person can make changes to a document at a given time. But, unlike the library, everyone else who has permission to view that document can always see it, even if it’s checked out. And, if another employee needs to edit that document, he or she will know exactly who has checked it out.
- Assist customers with questions faster than ever before. With document management, you don’t have to put people on hold or call them back later in order to pull a file. Just look it up from your computer!
- Simplify your workflow with document imaging. With a management system, you can scan or upload documents easily and route them to specific individuals for an electronic signature, mark-ups and more. In most industries, electronic signatures are acceptable, as long as the individual is logged into the system.
- Breeze through audits quickly and stay compliant with government regulations. Most auditors prefer to deal with digital documents and content management systems because it saves them lots of time, too. Plus, the system enables you to keep tight security on documents for HIPAA and SOX purposes, locking them down by user groups and specific logon IDs.
Remember, time is money. With a document management system, your employees will be freed up to accomplish more in their day.
If you’d like to learn more about the document management systems we offer at Copeco, just give us a call. We can help you make the switch from paper filing to digital storage!