Last week we dug deeper into the topic of document management during our second edition of Snacks & Solutions. Our on-site expert on this subject, Dennis Porter, shared tips and techniques for using our advanced OCR (optical character recognition) software called DocRecord. This simple, affordable system – which works well for large and small business alike – allows you to capture, organize, store and recall all of your electronic and hard-copy documents. There are so many benefits with DocRecord.
During his presentation, Dennis stressed some key points to look for in a good document management system. If you’re thinking about investing in this technology for digital files, this information may help you decide what’s best for your company.
When choosing electronic file management software, you want an integrated system that:
- Is a full ECM system (Enterprise Content Management). You can use it to store ANY electronic file, not just scanned documents.
- Keeps an audit trail of all activity, including who viewed, printed, e-mailed and/or modified which documents allowing for easier HIPAA and other government compliance audits.
- Has retention rules for how long to keep a document within a certain category. Retention can be based on the document’s scan date, index date or other parameter. For example, you can keep all human resource documents for 10 years after an employee’s termination date.
- Is based on standard Microsoft SQL technology. Because it’s non-proprietary, your documents are not changed from their native format in any way. That way you can move your documents from one system to another safely and easily.
- Makes it easy to add items via drag and drop, desktop scanner, e-mail, MS Office integration and your copier or multi-function printer.
If you own a business in Northeast Ohio or Toledo / Maumee area and would like to know how electronic document management can help your business, give us a call. I know Dennis or a member of our knowledgeable sales team would be happy to assist you.
Also, feel free to join us for our next edition of Snacks & Solutions on May 17 where you can learn to create your own professional-looking flyers, posters, brochures and more using your own color copier!